Friday, January 1, 2010

Where The Wild Things Are (Bob says 2 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? SOME OF IT
Both Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Where The Wild Things Are are books I read as a child in elementary school. I can also say that their filmed versions were so-so and could have been better. This film in particular is quite angry in tone. Perhaps the child is still going through a lot because his parents are not together anymore. Sometimes you never quite know for sure what kids are going through, as I have noticed through substitute teaching. But the problem I had with the film is that because I couldn't quite understand Max's anger, I didn't like him as much as I thought I should. In tone, Spike Jonze doesn't quite commit to being either completely dark or completely kid friendly and fun. Instead, he has an odd mix which made it hard for me to say after one viewing how well it worked.

2. Would I watch it again? MAYBE
The wild things portion of this movie is certainly a mix of comedy and anger, a projection of Max's feelings created in fantasy form. James Gandolfini's Carol sounds a lot like Tony Soprano, which made me want to watch that series more than this film. But it certainly is unique and could be worthy of a second opinion somewhere down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment