Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Passing Strange (Bob says 3 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Spike Lee filmed the last three performances of this Broadway production about a young black musician who rebels against his mother's middle-class, church-going upbringing and travels to Amsterdam and later Berlin to experience "the real." Stew, who wrote the lyrics and music to this show, is also dynamic as the musical's narrator. While I first had to adjust to the idea that I was watching the filming of an actual Broadway performance, I was soon absorbed by the incredible music of this production. The actors work their butts off in this show, understandably working up quite a sweat throughout. Unlike some musicals in film that rely on flashy special effects, this one holds its hat on great music, acting and choreography. I liked this film a lot.

2. Would I watch it again? MAYBE
This is not your typical movie, as it's really just the taping of a musical. But I might be in the mood at some point to view this show again. Thank goodness Spike Lee saw the greatness of this show to capture it on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment