Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Up in the Air (Bob says 4 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
I have loved all three of Jason Reitman's feature films. Thank You For Smoking I saw because there was nothing I wanted to watch in particular and turned out to be my favorite film of 2006. Juno was my second favorite film of 2007, virtually tied for first with Once. Reitman is such a great writer, melding a terrific sense of humor with some powerful dramatic moments. Here comes another film destined for my top ten list. My pastor commented in a sermon last Sunday that people are constantly moving and have no patience to wait for anything. George Clooney's character Ryan Bingham thrives on moving, taking flights all around the country to fire employees for corporations with bosses too scared to do it themselves. Ryan's constant travel makes it impossible for him to have any personal relationships, and he likes it that way. When his company decides to conduct their layoffs over the internet instead of in person, Ryan is furious. He's not actually concerned this new method will make the firings less personable, he's mad the lack of traveling will force him to have a life where relationships will now be a necessary part of his life. Along the way, he realizes he does indeed want a more meaningful relationship with Alex, a woman he often hooks up with for sex while traveling. He also must train a young female hotshot how to do his job right, as he's convinced she knows nothing about firing people. The interactions he has with these two women are fantastic and the ending to this film took me completely by surprise. Of the films nominated for Golden Globes this year, this is my favorite.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
I see myself collecting Reitman's films until he makes a dud. If that's possible. This is one of the most talented filmmakers I have seen emerge in the twenty-first century.

No comments:

Post a Comment