Friday, January 8, 2010

Big Man Japan (Bob says 4 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Christopher Guest did some great mockumentary films with This is Spinal Tap, Waiting For Guffman and Best in Show. This film, written, directed and starring Hitoshi Matsumoto, is the first I have seen devoted to the life of a superhero. The film's premise is a documentary on the life of Daisoto and his alter ego, Big Man Japan. Big Man Japan protects Japan from various monsters that threaten the nation, all very humorous looking and very imaginative. The special effects in this film are intentionally cheesy, poking fun at the Godzilla movies and perhaps the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Daisoto we find out is a man who really has a crappy life given what he does for a living. His living quarters are unremarkable, he is separated from his wife and daughter and the average person would probably identify him as a bum. Matsumoto plays his role straight, which is what makes the film so funny. I laughed out loud when Big Man is holding a baby monster who then bites him in the nipple. He drops the monster, who dies and is dramatically taken up to heaven. There are many other funny moments which I won't reveal here. Just see this film. It's so strange you can't help but laugh.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
I saw this film by myself on DVD and thought it was hilarious. I'll bet it's twice as funny watching it with a few friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment