Sunday, December 27, 2009

Orphan (Bob says 4 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES (2 points)
Once upon a time, there was a nine-year-old child who was adopted by a family in a suburban neighborhood. The child had burned down the house he lived in with his biological parents, and now there are signs that the youngster is dangerous, maybe even a killer. What movie am I describing? If you think I'm talking about Orphan, think again. Actually this was a screenplay I had written in film school during the spring of 2004. That's why I was taken off guard when I came across a movie that fit the exact same description. In Orphan, however, the child is female, along with other differences that make the 2009 film an original story. But it does make you wonder. When I came up with the idea for my screenplay, entitled Nathan, I had no idea that killer children had been made into several films previously. The Bad Seed and The Omen are the two most popular, while The Good Son and Children of the Corn were not applauded by many. What makes The Orphan unique is the twist ending, which I must admit, took me by surprise.

2. Would I watch it again? YES (2 points)
One of these days, I want to write a final draft of my own script. But it always helps to research why similar stories went well or bombed. The Orphan works and is a film I may like to view again for some enjoyable research.

No comments:

Post a Comment