Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Disney's A Christmas Carol (Bob says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
If you have the opportunity, please see this film in the 3-D format. This film is perfect for it, and makes you feel like you're part of the ride as Ebenezer Scrooge gets dragged through the sky by the ghosts of Christmas in this computer animated version of the Charles Dickens' classic. A Christmas Carol has been been made into more films than any other Christmas story that I know. My personal favorite is the 1951 version starring Alastir Sim. This film might be the runner-up. Robert Zemeckis, who used the "live action" performance technique for his animated feature The Polar Express, uses the same technique here with even greater success. This is a pretty dark version for kids, but it is quite faithful to the book and keeps the audience engaged from start to finish. Jim Carrey's Scrooge is not as good as Sim's, but that's a standard I suspect no one will meet.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
I'm curious how the film will hold up in two dimensional format, but I suspect the great visuals and performances will still carry it through. With the exception of Up, this is the best animated feature this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment