Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Bob says 1 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
I have a theory that if there is a story that was both made into a book and made into a film, you will like the one you encountered first. In my case, I read the book version of Cloudy many years ago as a child and loved it. The story was fantastic and the pictures ignited my imagination and actually made me very hungry. The film version, which I saw a few weeks ago, is not bad, but like many things after your childhood has ended, the magic is not the same. A part of that might be the computer animation. I would have preferred this film be hand drawn or maybe even made into a live version. This might sound like a negative review, but I actually think kids will like it just fine. Most likely they have not read the story, so they have no previous expectations going into the movie. I was mildly entertained too and although it didn't make me feel like a kid again, I applaud the filmmakers for paying homage to a great story.

2. Would I watch it again? NO
But I will be singing "It's Raining Sunshine" for quite a while. Animated films often have very catchy closing songs, at least they do this year. The question is, what food would you want it to rain?

No comments:

Post a Comment