Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Drag Me to Hell (Bob says 1 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? SOME OF IT (1 point)
Sam Raimi likes to do what Gremlins did well, create a movie with horror and black comedy. I thought he did this successfully in The Evil Dead, although he went too over the top with its sequels. Drag Me to Hell is a movie that works some of the time, but not enough of it. The makeup and special effects are certainly well done, as is the acting. Where I think it went wrong is the writing and direction. As are the trappings of many horror films, this one relies too heavily on music to make us jump and startle us. Mrs. Ganush also seems pretty unbelievable in this film. Ganush is the old woman in the story who curses Christine, a young loan officer who refuses to extend her another loan on her mortgage payment. We see scenes with Ganush playing with her false teeth a lot, biting Christine on the mouth, and destroying her car. What disappointed me most, however, was that I was able to predict the ending. Raimi makes it a little too obvious, although the twist I'm gathering was supposed to be a surprise. It wasn't.

2. Would I watch it again? NO (0 points)
Raimi is a talented director, but he didn't quite win me over this time out. I think he has the potential to win me over with future films, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment