Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Hurt Locker (Bob says 1 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
It seems that I've been watching a lot of heavy movies lately. Perhaps it's making up for the lighter fair and escapist action movies that were coming out earlier this year. When I say I enjoyed this film, it does not mean I had a smile on my face and felt wonderful butterflies after it was finished. The Hurt Locker is a tough film, but very well made as it depicts several characters' experiences serving together as an American bomb squad unit in Iraq. While it's a little too slow-paced for my taste, there are nevertheless some great moments of tension in the movie that had me metaphorically biting my nails waiting to see what would happen next. Jeremy Renner does a fine job as Sgt. William James, a man who is willing to take a few more risks on his missions than his comrades are comfortable with. But his job in Iraq is what he's devoted his life to, and he's great at it. Plenty of familiar faces in this war thriller, including Guy Pearce, Ralph Fiennes and David Morse.

2. Would I watch it again? NO
Not a film I would watch repeatedly, but a good film nonetheless. This movie did not get much publicity, but watch for possible Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for Renner's work in this film. Definitely worth a look if you haven't seen this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment