Thursday, September 3, 2009

Goodbye Solo (Bob says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
I've only seen one bad "Taxi movie", appropriately titled Taxi starring Queen Latifah. Other than that, my luck has been pretty good. In Goodbye Solo, a taxi driver named Solo, with ambitions to be a pilot someday, picks up William, an older man who offers to pay him if he will take him to Blowing Rock. Since Blowing Rock has a peak with updrafts that cause objects dropped from it to fly upwards, Solo is genuinely concerned that William only wants one way transportation to the location and seems quite depressed. Throughout the film, Solo does his best to develop a relationship with this man and help him see the joys of life. But William seems determined to go to this peak, regardless of his fondness for Solo and his daughter. I really admire characters like Solo who try to reach out to someone, not by lecturing them on the bad choice he's about to make, but by simply befriending the man and showing him the joys of relationships that life has to offer.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
I have to admit I wanted a traditional Hollywood ending to this film, but it seems the writer and director are telling us that the central part of this movie is the unlikely bond these two men develop, not the outcome of the very compelling plot. And because that aspect is done so well, I commend it and encourage viewers who did not see this film in theaters to rent it at the first opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment