Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Taken (Jason says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy the film? YES
The poster for Taken always catches my eye. It is a great piece of graphic design. A dark background with the brooding profile of Liam Neesom sinking into the black space space, illuminated with sharp-edged lettering in a sparse minimal palette. I love it.

"I don't know who you are, but if you don't let my daughter go, I will find you. I will kill you."

And with 22 simple grey tone words the entire movie is laid out for you. Listen, that is everything that occurs in this movie. His daughter is kidnaped. He finds the kidnappers. He kills the kidnappers. It is great. Sure it sounds stupid or simplistic when I say it like that but that is where the filmmakers make a difference. The violence and action is real. No wires, no CGI. That is what I loved about it. With that simplicity the Pierre Morel has crafted something great.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
Who wouldn't want to watch Liam Neesom kick ass. This is the bad ass Jedi that should of been in Phantom Menace.

No comments:

Post a Comment