Monday, November 23, 2009

This Is It (Bob says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Growing up, I would not call myself a Michael Jackson fan. I knew little about his music and more about such items as how he'd grab his crotch as part of a dance move, his addiction to plastic surgery that I often joked turned him from a black man into a white woman, and of course, the accusations that Michael had been involved with several young boys he had taken to his Neverland Ranch. As the years went by, I picked up several of his songs from the Thriller album, but kept my admiration for MJ's talent very casual. When it was announced last June that he had died, I was surprised as many of his fans were, not aware of any poor health stories about him in recent years. I decided to listen to his hit singles over the decades of his career and found myself gaining a new respect for his artistry. This film takes his artistry and his incredible showmanship to the next level. While some films, such as Shine The Light, are better suited for hardcore fans who know their rock stars' songs by heart, This Is It is highly accessible for even casual admirers like myself. What's fascinating is the tremendous creativity and preparation that went into what was to be MJ's final tour. In such songs as Smooth Criminal, Jackson's interactions with Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca are seamless special effects. The dance moves throughout the film are incredible, and you can feel the excitement the dancers and singers had about the experience working with Michael.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
This film is a visual and audio extravaganza, with dynamite songs and performances by everyone involved. This is not a film about Michael Jackson's troubled personal life, but about the creativity that went into the greatest concert he never performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment