Monday, November 23, 2009

Munyurangabo (Bob says 1 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Given only limited release this past May, this film is the first feature in the Kinyarwanda language. It's about two boys: the title character, orphaned because of the Rwandan genocide, and Sangwa, who left home three years ago to make it on his own. The boys travel to the countryside looking for vengeance. On their way, the boys decide to visit Sangwa's family. Sanga's mother is overjoyed to see them, but his father is ashamed and disappointed in his son. Most of the film takes place here, as the boys try to decide if they want to build a new life with this family or continue with their quest for blood. I found this film interesting and dramatic, although I recommend the film Hotel Rwanda even more than I do this film. Still, this was a rare chance to see a film in a language I have never heard before, and those firsts are always a good thing.

2. Would I watch it again? NO
This was a good film, but probably not a top ten film for me given all the excellent choices out there this year. Still, give this film a rental if you get an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment