Monday, October 5, 2009

Tulpan (Bob says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
I can't say I've ever watched a movie about a shepherd from Kazakhstan before. You'd think such a story wouldn't be very interesting. It is. Asa, a discharged sailor from the Russian navy, desperately wants to fulfill his dream of shepherding his own land, but his boss will not allow him to be a herdsman unless he has a wife and realistic dreams. Unfortunately, his only prospect in the desert climate is Tulpan, but she does not show interest. Asa lives with his sister's family, but is frustrated because the sheep on his brother-in-law's land are dying. Will Asa become a shepherd, or will he give up his dream and settle for a job with his friend in the city? I love films that transport me to different worlds and cultures and still draw me with its story and characters. This is one of those films.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
I might not be as captivated with multiple viewings for this one, but then again, the enchanting spell of the film might carry it through. A film not easy to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment