Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Hurt Locker (Jason explosively says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Not a morality play but a mortality play.
The movie is about people's reactions to two very simple questions. 1. Am I aware of my mortality? 2. Can I deal with that realization when I do realize my morality. Our three protagonists exemplify the varied ways people deal with the two questions. First is Eldridge. He is aware he could die any moment, as he directly tells his psychologist, but incapable of dealing with it. Plagued by doubt and fear he enters a deepening depression. Next is Sanborn. He's an interesting one. While aware of other's mortality he has not realized yet how close to death he is. Then when he does come close to death at the end of the movie, he is able to deal with this realization. Faced with finality of existence, he chooses family. Lastly is that cocky son of a bitch William James. William knows he could die at any moment and he has made peace with that.
2. Would I watch it again? YES
True catharsis only work if one engages them.
While I was dating my wife I had the hardest time dealing with how much time we spent together. I had to spend time away from Suzanne so I could remember why I love her. Movies were my respite. I'd watch some emotionally taunt movie and emerge into the daylight missing my wife. "Baby, baby...," I'd cry. The movie would act as a catharsis purging me. Truthfully these movies, like the English Patient, Summer of Sam, and the Hurt Locker, would literally wring me dry like some old time washing machine.
The Hurt Locker works for me on this cathartic level because of Sanborn. When he said he didn't want to be out there anymore. When he said I want a family. When he said I want a son. I resonated with that. I wanted to be with my family. I wanted to be with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment