Thursday, August 20, 2009

Public Enemies (Bob says 2 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
A lot of people I spoke with said this film was too slow for them to enjoy. If they think this movie's slow, they would think the film Last Year at Marienbad never started its engine. I didn't feel the same way about Enemies, however. There are slower moments, yes, but I was never bored and was fully engaged in this great period piece starring Johnny Depp as the infamous gangster John Dillinger. I suspect people who didn't like this film were expecting a tense action film. But that's not what director Michael Mann had in mind here. Instead, he gives a snapshot about the life of Dillinger, his girlfriend, his partners in crime and the men who tried to bring them down. A great finale includes Dillinger watching a Clark Gable film which forshadows exactly what will happen to him. John knows he will be killed and refuses to spend the rest of his life locked up in a cell.

2. Would I watch it again? YES
Johnny Depp has never compromised with his work, always taking interesting outsider roles instead of conventional ones that might make more box office profit. I applaud Depp for sticking to his guns and I applaud this movie. A good trip to the theater and a good rental as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment