Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Land of the Lost (Bob says 0 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? NO
Granted, I watched this film 15 minutes after the terrific animated film Up, so perhaps the contrast made me dislike this film more than I would normally. Or maybe it just highlights what Up did right and Land of the Lost did wrong. I laughed several times during this film, not because I found the jokes funny (they were not), but because I was amazed at how terrible the movie I was watching really was. Land of the Lost has had two runs as a television show, once in the seventies and once in the early nineties. Both were weird, but not comedies. They focused on the characters and the bonding of a family trapped in a world much different than their own. I had been moved by the show's portrayal of Tom Porter facing the new task of being a single parent and investing in his kids. There was no reason to spoof that show, let alone spoof it so badly. Will Ferrell has fallen far from his SNL days and the hilarious Anchorman. I think he seriously needs to follow the path of Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler by mixing his comedy roles with some drama to show he has some acting chops on him.

2. Would I watch it again? NO
If you offered me a large some of cash, I would consider it if I could nap while it was playing. I'm still waiting for the real version of Land of the Lost, not this urination (literally in one scene) on the memories of a good TV show. I hated this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment