Monday, June 8, 2009

Earth (Bob says 1 out of 2)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Most of the time when you see animals in movies, they're around for laughs, such as recent animated features like Madagascar 2 and Kung Fu Panda. Archie the bear comes to mind in the live action Dr. Dolittle 2 as well. Those movies have their place, some of them being quite good. But here we have a movie featuring animals just being animals, as God intended them to be. Following several different animal families, we notice how these creatures instinctively travel to find food and water. They are very protective of their young, warding off any predators that might be looking for a meal. There was some great suspense in the episode featuring the lions' attempts to devour the baby elephants. What happens when the lions rethink their strategy and attack is shockingly awesome, as these beasts were not following a script, they were simply being crafty carnivores. I'm trying to think if I've ever seen another live action film with absolutely no people in any scene. This could be a first.

2. Would I watch it again? NO
My no is not intended as a put down for this film. I recommend people give this movie a look. But, I watch quite a few flicks each year and I only say I'd watch a film again if I couldn't bear the thought of seeing it only once. This movie was very nice, but didn't necessarily have me begging for a second viewing. However, I think Disney is doing the right thing by making films like this and should keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment