Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bob's Worst Films of 2008

Despite 2008 being a great year for the movies, there were still a few stinkers in the bunch, let me share them with you so you may be sure to avoid them at all costs.

10. The Other Boleyn Girl
A dull period tale with two beautiful actresses, Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman, wasted as characters we don't really care about in a story we care about even less. Johansson was in a much better movie in 2008 called Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Rent that instead.
9. Chop Shop
A pair of adolescents living in Queens struggle to find a better life for themselves. While these actors are compelling, the film didn't work for me. Not awful, but not good enough for a thumbs up from yours truly.
8. Shine a Light
Die-hard Rolling Stones fans will love this film, but for those like me who only know their greatest hits, there are too many lulls where you wish you knew the tunes.
7. Shotgun Stories
I wanted to like this movie, but I just couldn't embrace it, it didn't add up to enough for me and was a bit too slow.
6. Snow Angels
A real downer of a movie with characters who do not redeem themselves. What message the filmmaker wanted me to come away with I don't know, but I felt like I needed to play something uplifting afterwards like my old Kids Praise songs or maybe a Veggietales tune.
5. Mamma Mia!
This film had the same problem as Across The Universe: contains great music (buy the original recordings of these songs if you like ABBA), but it doesn't have a good story, just something to connect one tune with the other. Streep is a great actress, but she has no business singing and acting like she's still in her 20s.
4. Superhero Movie
I'm getting really tired of these type of films, the writers don't even try here. I chuckled one time in 90 really long minutes. One time. Go rent Airplane! or Hot Shots! if you want some good spoof films.
3. American Carol
Although I agree with David Zucker's conservative stances and don't mind people criticizing Michael Moore, this comedy has jokes falling flat left and right. For a good serious critique on Michael Moore, rent Michael Moore Hates America.
2. Baby Mama
This movie was just plain boring and had zero laughs, my mom and grandma even agreed. Tina Fey did much better with her Sarah Palin impression on SNL and her work in 30 Rock this year.
1. Prom Night
Just awful. No scares and was completely predictable. I saw this film with my co-workers at a midnight showing. We got in for free, but we still wished we could have asked for a refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment