Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief or Jason makes a savings throw versus nostalgia

1. Did I enjoy the movie? YES
I have not enjoyed Chris Columbus' movies in the past. Yet, with this film he hit the right notes. Notes building to chords of myth, action, and magic reminding me of a summer past.

I don't know why my dad asked me to keep Kevin Ryan's nephew company that summer before sixth grade. I did not mind. He seemed like a cool kid. A little older than me but not haughty. (Wanting to watch Clash Of The Titans was a big plus.) Something in that movie clicked with me.

My classmates knew the latest sexual innuendo and I knew the Olympians. They had access to cable without adult supervision. I had access to the Kankakee Public Library's children section. Oh it was marvelous. I would love to walk down the dull stone stairs turn and be blasted by the primary intensity of colors. There was a series of books covering the myths of the world. Those were my go-to books. I would be lost in the stories. When waiting for class to begin I would devour these stories of heroes and monsters from afar-ago. There was a realness, without being real if that makes sense, that the Bozo Show lacked. (Side note: as I type this I am trying to decide if I just drank a glass of urine or bad smelling water.)

"You should be playing Dungeons and Dragons," Kevin Ryan's nephew said to me as I explain the myths that were cobbled together to build Clash Of The Titans' narrative.

Wow, was he right. I LOVED it. Loved it like how you love your your first girlfriend and don't notice her flaws but everyone else does. Yeah. Like that. I bought the red Basic Set and it was brought to a new world. A place where I had powers and weapons. A world with no homework, gym class, indifferent classmates, and angry fathers.

2. Would I watch the movie again? MAYBE
I enjoyed all of the book but only most of the movie. The divergence in the character of Luke from the book to the movie gives me pause. Patriarchal rage is converted to blind megalomania. It cheapens the character and also reduces the power of the "absent parents" theme running through the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment