Wednesday, June 30, 2010

American Radical: The Trials of Norman Finkelstein

There's something about outspoken people that always gets my attention. People who have strong views on things and are not afraid to speak of them in public draws both feelings of irritation and admiration from me. Initially, I'm angry that they don't seem to give a crap about other people's thoughts and feelings when they express them. Then again, maybe I'm just too worried about what people think. Ultimately, I admire them because they are willing to make a stand on something they believe to be the truth and are not swayed by negative comments from others. Norman Finkelstein certainly falls under the outspoken category, and definitely the controversial category as well. A Jew raised by parents who survived the Holocaust, Finkelstein went on to teach at several universities in the United States while expressing critical views on Israel in what he calls the Holocaust Industry. Finkelstein believes Israel must take responsibility for its murder of countless Palestinians and using the memory of the Holocaust to gain immunity from any criticism by other nations on its policies and to further its financial interests. Wherever he speaks, Finkelstein is greeted with hardcore supporters and opponents. Although I have neither ties to Israel nor Palestine, I found it very interesting to watch this man and the way he spread his message. I'm not sure he's somebody I'd have a beer with, but Finkelstein is a great example of a man committed to standing firm even when it's unpopular to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment