Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel or Jason doesn't want all his money back, just some of it.

If you won't do it for the children, then do it for the parents that are dragged along.

Do what? Why develop the story fully so I can "enjoy" a movie with my son instead of "sit" through a movie with my son.

For example: Why did Alvin turn his back on his brothers. I could not tell you. Nor could my wife or anyone else I asked. The movie presents no basis for why Alvin, who is a world famous rock musician, is driven to win over the approval of some high school jocks. I am sure I could come up with any number of reasons on my own, but that is not my job. It is the filmmaker's. I feel sorry for kids nowadays if this is the state of children's filmmaking.

Why is it the criteria for good cinema seems to only apply to movies for grown-ups.  Plot, characterization, theme, and symbolism should be a criteria for ALL cinema regardless of the audience. Children are more creative and aware than people think. There is a complexity at work in children most people miss. Would Pixar have done as well as they have if children could only digest mindless or half-formed stories.

Even something as commercial and profit-driven as Alvin can have depth and resonance. Use the Chippettes memories of struggle to make it in their small town as a a foil for the Chipmunks. Place a few literary references in the back ground or on a chalkboard. Stop having Alvin just regurgitate random pop phrases. (That last one will most likely remain because little kids do talk like that.) Have Toby explain a plot for a video game that foreshadows the coming split between the brothers. Stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment