Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Two Lovers (Bob says 2 out of 4)

1. Did I enjoy it? YES
Joaquin Phoenix's alleged final film is actually quite good, which is why it was a shame that he was so spaced out while "promoting it" on The Late Show with Dave Letterman. It follows Leonard, a man with emotional problems and suicidal tendencies who moves back in with his parents after his most recent suicide attempt. A lot of Leonard's troubles seem to stem from a breakup with his girlfriend. Leonard still has romantic possibilities on the horizon however. His parents want him to hook up with the daughter of a potential business partner, whose family happens to be coming over for dinner. Leonard, however, is also enamored with his new neighbor Michelle, who is dating a married man and has as many problems as he does. Who will Leonard end up with? He goes back and forth between both of them in this movie, though I suspected I knew the fate of his relationship with one of them. What I didn't see coming was the last scene. It may have been a compromise to Leonard, but I think he ultimately made the right choice and the better one.

2. Would I watch it again? NO
Nothing against the movie, I might see it if someone else wanted to, but realistically I don't see a lot of repeated viewings for most movies. Only a few at the top of my best of the year lists for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment